At the tribunal meeting in Doissetep in Autumn of 1219, Redcap Olivius came forth and reported on the strange occurrence at the covenant of Causa Nobilis.
Causa Nobilis was a small covenant in the Pyrinees, established in 1113. The professed purpose was to establish a magical library that would be available to members of Provancal Tribunal, and thus lessen the reliance on Durenmar.
The covenant was slowly working on the magical book collection, and hardly ever appeared to be involved in the politics of the tribunal.
As the time passed, they were less and less in touch with the rest of the tribunal.
Last known contact with them was for the previous tribunal in 1212 – Olivius informed them of the tribunal, but they sent no representative.
When Olivius arrived to deliver the message, he found a covenant that had not a living soul within. There were remains of food on the tables in servants quarters, and everything seemed undisturbed, but no trace of life was there to be seen. He tried to enter the library at that time, but couldn’t get in.
He reported this to his superiors, and was sent to the tribunal to give an eyewitness account.
The tribunal, intrigued by the description of the library and remembering the original purpose of the covenant, decided to send a group of young, fresh-out-of-Gauntlet magi to resettle the covenant. The general opinion of tribunal that the investment of 25 pawns of vis and 25 pounds of silver may in the long term be repaid generously by the books that might be found there, and well as any other magics.
The magi were selected – some volunteered, some were volunteered by others, and some followed suggestions of their elders.
On 1st of March of 1220 they met in the small town of Saint-Girons to travel to Causa Nobilis.
They were accompanied by a group of 6 grogs, assembled from various covenants. Grogs were led by Stephan, previously a turb grog from Doissetep.
Arrien-en-Bethmale had proved to be a very rural place- shepherd village peopled by Basques, strange in that it had houses built of dressed stone. The magi were welcomed by the village elder, Berezi – he was strangely in awe of the magi, and welcomed them with open arms.
Surprisingly, he claimed to have been living at the covenant when he was but a child (from his age, possibly 40 or 50 years ago), and that the covenant met with a disaster while he was away. In his own words: “They were all gone…”
After magi spent a night in the village, Berezi appointed a youngster to escort the magi to the covenant.
The road , what little of it there was, was overgrown. It really looked as if it was 50 years since there was any traffic passing through there.